Having trouble? Here’s a guide to Crew Compass as well as frequently asked questions:
How to use Crew Compass
Crew Compass Overview
How does Crew Compass Dayworker work?
Crew Compass is a technology platform that connects dayworkers with captains through a smartphone app.
Simply sign-up and get approved to be a Crew Compass Dayworker. When you’re ready to begin accepting jobs, log into the app and select “on-duty”\” to start showing up on nearby captain’s searches. When you receive a job request, you will be able to see the location, pay rate, dates/times, and a short description. You will have up to 5 minutes to accept or deny an incoming job.
When you accepts the captain’s job request, you can chat within the app to keep in touch with the captain to coordinate any special instructions such as dock number and the name of the yacht. The captain’s profile photo and name will help the two of you connect at your job location.
When you arrive, you can send a request to “start job” which the captain needs to tap to confirm. This will start the job timer to begin calculating time worked until you or the captain taps “end job”. Your final total will be automatically calculated and a summary will be displayed for your completed job. The total earning will be deposited directly into the bank you’ve linked to your Crew Compass account, and you will be emailed a transaction receipt.
Immediately after a job ends, your app will ask you to rate your captain with 1-5 Stars. Captains are also asked to rate dayworkers. Crew Compass’s feedback system is designed to foster a community of professionalism and accountability for everyone.
Is Crew Compass available everywhere?
Crew Compass is available to use worldwide, but we only accept US bank accounts for now. We are working hard to accept multiple currencies and offshore banks as soon as possible.
Use your Crew Compass account to earn money dayworking in any port you arrive in.
Are Crew Compass jobs always available?
As long as there are captains looking in your area, you can be on duty 24/7 to accept incoming jobs. You can also use the app to accept jobs for a date/time in the future (ie, in 2 days, next week, etc) if you are logged in and on-duty.
Does my feedback have any impact?
As a dayworker, you have the opportunity to rate each captain/job. Captains do the same about their experience. Your feedback helps us understand your perspective and improve Crew Compass for everyone.
Candid and constructive feedback is appreciated.
When we receive feedback about a poor job experience from a captain, the dayworkerr is notified. Dayworker accounts can be deactivated for serious or repeated negative incidents.
Our goal is to make every Crew Compass job great for dayworkers and captains alike.
Download Crew Compass Dayworker to my phone
“Download the “Crew Compass Dayworker” app from the Apple App Store. Devices with iOS 7 and newer are supported.
1. Using your phone, tap the App Store icon.
2. Tap Search.
3. In the search box, type Crew Compass Dayworker.
4. Tap Search.
5. From the results, tap the Crew Compass Dayworker icon (GREEN ICON).
6. Tap GET to download the app. You may be required to enter your App Store password.
When downloading is complete, GET will change to INSTALL. Tap INSTALL.
When installation is complete, INSTALL will change to OPEN. Tap OPEN to set up or access your Crew Compass Dayworker account and start accepting jobs.
Creating a Crew Compass account
Creating an Crew Compass account requires a valid email address, phone number, and US bank account for direct deposit. You’ll also need to create a password and agree to terms and conditions and our privacy statement.
Fill in your first and last name, phone number, country, email address and choose a profile picture.
Next, select your Qualifications & Skils by tapping on the + icon to add a profile. Select the relevant position, experience, nationality, language, skills, and certificates. If you would also like to show up for multiple positions (if you are a hybrid role such as a deck/stew, stew/chef, capt/engineer, etc.) please create your profiles one at a time. You can always edit this section later from the PROFILE section in the main menu.
Complete the Objectives section by including details to encourage captains to hire you. This is your brief summary, and should include any additional information such as specific jobs you’re looking for or any other relevant experience not included in the Qualifications & Skills section. This is a great section to include any hybrid roles you are looking for!
Next, enter your bank deposit information including routing and account number. Adding a bank account allows your earnings to be automatically deposited after each job. Please note that we cannot accept non-US banks at this time.
Finish by uploading a clear photo of your CV including: Full name, nationality, passport expiration date, STCW certificate #, matching email and phone number to your account (see “Document Review and Status” for further instructions on uploading your CV).
After providing this info, it will take 1-5 business days to review your application. Once approved, you will be sent an email to confirm your account registration and you can begin accepting jobs! TIP: If you are invited by an existing Crew Compass member, you will be fast-tracked for approval!
Document Review and Status
Uploaded CVs generally require 1-5 days (fast-tracked for new dayworkers referred by existing Crew Compass members) for review. To streamline the application process, please keep these tips in mind when uploading documents:
– Make sure your CV is up to date and includes: Full name, nationality, passport expiration date, STCW certificate #, matching email and phone number to your account
– Include all references from previous jobs. Without references, the application will be rejected and extend your wait time as you resubmit.
– Make sure that the uploaded CV image is clear and legible, and limited to only 1 page.
– Avoid using flash when photographing documents, as this can create a glare that obscures required information.
– Check that all 4 corners of your CV are visible in the uploaded photo.
I can’t sign-in to hire a dayworker
Crew Compass has a Captain app (Blue logo) and a Dayworker app (Green logo). These apps are downloaded and used separately.
To get hired for daywork, use the Crew Compass Dayworker app. To request a dayworker, use the Crew Compass Captain app.
If your app doesn’t display the “on-duty” toggle, you may be using the Captain app by mistake.
If you’d like to hire a dayworker, please download Crew Compass Captain.
DOWNLOAD THE CAPTIAN APP (iOS)
Getting hired and accepting jobs
How do I accept a job?
A Crew Compass job begins when you arrive at your location and begin work, and ends when you completes the job. To get started, open your app.
BEFORE GOING ON-DUTY
1. By default, GPS will determine you are looking for jobs within a 15 mile radius (radius can be adjusted in the SETTINGS menu). If you wish to change the area you are looking for a job, type the exact address, location name, or select the address from search results
2. Verify that your bank details are up to date and correct in the PAYMENT menu. Without the correct account information, there could be a delay in payment.
3. Double check your photo, qualifcations, skills and objective is updated in the PROFILE section in the main menu. Remember you can create multiple job profiles within “Qualifications and Skills” section of your PROFILE. Just tap the + button at the bottom right and add other positions you qualify for so that captains can find you. You can also use the “Objectives” section in your profile to include any hybrid roles you are looking for (ie, deck/stew, stew/cook, deck/engineer) or permanent/daywork or charter/private.
4. In order to start appearing in Captain’s search results, you must switch your status to “On-Duty” at the bottom of the map until the button turns green. Now you are ready to accept jobs! TIP: Captains are looking for dayworkers any time of day, but most daywork opportunities appear in the mornings, between 8-10am Monday – Friday. To maximize hiring potential, go on-duty as often as you are able to.
5. When you receive a job alert from a captain, you will see a notifcation pop-up that includes job details, rate, and location. You have up to 5 minutes to accept or deny the job. If you let it time out, the notifcation disappears.
6. If you have a promo code, please enter it into the promo code field. There will not be an opportunity to add the promo code after accepting the job.
7. Tap ACCEPT to confirm the job and go to the HISTORY tab to chat with the captain to coordinate the meet up. Make sure you communicate with your captain via chat about the exact job location such as yacht name, dock location or slip number.
8. Tap REJECT to dismiss the job, and select the reason for rejection. Please note that if you reject an incoming job, you will be deducted a half star on your rating which could impact your overall rating displayed to captains. If there are multiple rejections, your account may be suspended or go under review.
ARRIVAL AT THE JOB
9. When you arrive at the job location, it’s good practice to confirm each other’s names and pictures from the app (there may be multiple dayworkers and captains using Crew Compass in the same marina).
10. It is very important that you tap JOB START from your current job profile (access from the HISTORY tab) to begin calculating the time worked. You payment will be impacted by when you tap JOB START, be sure that the Captain confirms the start of the job from his app. The captain may also initiate the JOB START.
11. Once you completed the job, click END JOB to stop the timer and calculate the final hours. The captain will get an alert to confirm the END JOB request. The captain may also initiate the END JOB prompt. You will see a final summary of time worked and total amount earned. Once the captain pays, you will be sent a receipt for your work.
RATE YOUR CAPTAIN
After a job ends, your app will ask you to rate your captain/job. We want to hear about your experience!
How do I reject a job?
You should only be “on-duty” when you are fully ready and able to work and accept incoming jobs. If you are not available to work, please switch your status to “off-duty”. If you would like to reject a job, tap REJECT and you will be prompted to select your reason for rejecting (which will be shared to the captain).
Please note that if you reject an incoming job, you will be deducted a half star on your rating which could impact your overall rating displayed to captains. If there are multiple rejections, your account may be suspended or go under review.
Contacting the captain
You may need to contact the captain if you are having trouble finding the boat, are delayed, or lost.
To message your captain:
– Within your app, navigate to the HISTORY tab
– Tap on the active job/captain you wish to contact
– On the job details page, tap the Chat icon on the upper right hand side to begin chat
Cancelling my job
Job requests should only be accepted if you are ready to work. This enables captains to hire only dayworkers who are on-duty and relaibale on the Crew Compass platform. Sometimes you may wish to cancel a job request after you have already accepted the job.
While the Crew Compass app allows you to cancel anytime, you will be deducted a full star rating if you cancel a job after first accepting it. If you are not ready immediately, please reject the incoming job alert, provide your reasons, and be sure to click the toggle to go “off-duty”.
Can I accept jobs for the future?
At Crew Compass we’re focused on bringing you the best dayworking jobs that are looking to hire immediately in real-time. However, if you are currently logged-in for duty, you can certainly accept a job request for a booking in the future. However, at this time we don’t have the functionality to allow dayworkers to accept future jobs while off-duty (perhaps in future updates).
Can I book more than one job?
It depends. As long as the second job does not overlap with the first job already accepted, you will be able to accept multiple job requests. However, if you are off-duty because you are currently on a job, you will not receiving any new job offers.
When you arrive at the job
Identify my captain
When you accept a job, you are able to see the captain’s first name and profile photo. When you arrive at the job site, please confirm the identity of the captain and yacht before beginning a job. In a busy marina, there are potentially multiple dayworkers and captains using the app so it’s important to confirm. The captain will also have your first name and photo to verify your identity and correct job location.
Start the work
It is important as a dayworker to always tap START JOB and have the captain confirm from his app. This will immediately begin tracking the hours worked and will be used when calculating the final earning of your job. If you do not tap START JOB, you might lose out on earnings you are working!
End the work
At the end of your work day, remember to tap END JOB once the job has completed. This will send an alert to the captain to confirm the job is finished. This will stop tracking the hours worked, and the final tally of hours will be used when calculating the final earning.
After tapping END JOB, the captain will then proceed to pay you for your work from his Captain app. It is recommended that he completes this step for the final pay to expedite your payment. Not to worry, if the captain forgets to tap PAY after your job ends, he will automatically be charged the full amount after 24hrs. From your HISTORY menu, you will be able to see a summary of the hours worked, the total earnings, and any promo codes you applied upfront. The total amount earned will be deposited into your account within 1-2 business days.
Delay in payment
The total amount earned from your job will be deposited into your account within 1-2 business days. However, if there is a delay with payment from the captain, it could take 2-4 days. If you have still not received the earnings in your bank account, please check that your banking details are correct and up to date in the BANK DETAILS tab from the menu. If everything is correct, and there is still a delay, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading “PAYMENT DELAY” and reference the Job # you are referring to.
I was charged a transaction fee
Although Crew Compass is a free app, the use of its services to accept jobs incur a 5% transaction fee to pay for the cost of hosting and running the service.
While technology helps ensure the speed, dependability, and convenience of the Crew Compass platform, captain and dayworker experiences are defined by how we treat each other.
Please visit the link below to learn more about our Community Guidelines for professionalism, safety, and emergencies. https://crewcompassapp.com/guidelines/
We reserve a right to suspend an account if community guidelines were breached.
Update my account info
– Open the main menu in the top corner of the app
– Navigate to the PROFILE tab (top circle with profile photo)
From here, you can update your name, email address, phone number, password and profile photo.
Reset my password
To reset your password, go to your profile page in the app and change your password.If you’re logged out, click on “forgot password” and within minutes you should receive an email inviting you to reset your password.
For security reasons, you should choose a unique password for Crew Compass and never share your password in any correspondence.
If you continue to have trouble accessing your account, please let us know at email@example.com subject heading “PASSWORD RESET”
My account is suspended
If your account requires additional verification, it may be suspended. As a result, you’ll be unable to sign into your account too accept new jobs.
If your account has been suspended, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org subject heading “ACCOUNT SUSPENDED”
– the phone number and email address on your Crew Compass account
– a picture of your photo ID in the same name as your account
This additional security measure is an important step to keep the system safe and your account secure.
My email or phone number is in use
If you’re trying to change your email or mobile number on an existing account but receiving an ‘already registered’ error, please email us your correct information at email@example.com with subject heading “CHANGE MOBILE/EMAIL”
If you’re trying to sign up for a new Crew Compass account and finding that your email address or mobile number is already registered, it’s possible that another account incorrectly has your information associated with it.
If you don’t currently have a Crew Compass account, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may look into it.
I’m not receiving emails from Crew Compass
If you’re not receiving emails from Crew Compass, please check your email account’s “Spam” or “Junk” folders to ensure the message was not filtered.
Also verify that your email address is listed correctly on your account by visiting your PROFILE photo icon in the main menu of the app.
If you’re still not receiving messages from us, please confirm your email address and we’ll be happy to assist at email@example.com
I can’t change my email or mobile number
All Crew Compass accounts must have an email address and verified mobile number associated with the account in order to accept jobs.
If you’re trying to change your email or mobile number on an existing account but receiving an ‘already registered’ error, please email us your correct information at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading “CHANGE MOBILE/EMAIL”
Is my account compromised?
If you suspect that someone has accessed or is using your Crew Compass account without authorization, your account may be compromised.
Indications of a compromised account include:
– seeing job requests on your Crew Compass account that you have not accepted
– seeing completed jobs on your Crew Compass account that you did not work
– receiving text messages from captains about an active job when you did not accept
– receiving receipts for jobs on your Crew Compass account that you did not work
– your account information being changed without your knowledge
– being unable to sign into your account or the email address that was on your account is no longer found.
STILL ABLE TO SIGN IN?
Please change your password in PROFILE from the menu and confirm your information immediately. Create a new and unique password for your Crew Compass account.
UNABLE TO SIGN IN?
Contact us at email@example.com to provide info so that we can investigate and help.
I’d like to know my rating
After each job, captains and dayworkers are given the opportunity to rate one another based on their experience.
The rating system works to make sure that the most professional captains and dayworkers are using Crew Compass. Ratings are always reported as averages, and neither captains nor dayworkers will see the individual rating left for a particular job.
You may learn your average rating by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading “WHAT’S MY RATING”
How do I sign out of the app?
To sign out of the Crew Compass app on iOS:
1. Select SETTINGS from the menu.
2. Tap Log Out.
3. Tap YES to confirm.
How do I switch on-duty/off-duty?
If you need time to edit your profile or are not ready to accept a job, be sure to change your status to “off-duty” by tapping the status toggle at the bottom of the map on the homescreen. When you are ready to accept jobs, tap again to “on-duty” and the toggle should be green to indicate you are available.
Can I have both Captain and Dayworker apps?
Yes. However, you must have a separate email address for the Dayworker account that is different from the Captain account. You can still sign up using the same phone number, but the email address must be unique.
Delete my account
To delete your account, please email us at email@example.com with subject heading “DELETE ACCOUNT” and provide details why you wish to delete. While we’ll be sad to see you go, we can take care of this process for you.
Please note that once your account is deleted, we won’t be able to help review or make adjustments for past issues.
How do I get paid?
When you first create your account, we ask you to complete your banking information for a US-based checking or savings account. This allows Crew Compass to send a direct deposit payment to the bank account of your choice. Please ensure that this information is correct and up to date to help us make sure you receive your payment on time.
The total amount earned (minus any fees) will be deposited into your account within 1-2 business days. However, if there is a delay with payment from the captain, it could take 2-4 days.
Please note that Crew Compass reserves the right to withhold or deduct payments determined to be in error, fraudulent, illegal, or in violation of dayworker terms.
How do I update bank details?
To update/add your direct deposit method in your Crew Compass app:
– Open the main menu in the top left corner of the app
– On iPhone, tap BANK DETAILS.
– Enter bank name, routing, and account number
– After making changes/updates, tap Save.
Error adding banking info
At this time, we only accept US-based bank accounts. If you are trying to add a US bank and still receiving an error, please try:
– Check the routing and account numbers are inputted into the correct fields
– Ensure you are using the routing number for direct deposit, and not for a wire transfer (please verify with your bank if you don’t know which number to use)
– Try removing the bank info details and starting over
– Do not include any additional 00 in front of your account number
If you continue to receive messages about bank errors, contact your financial institution to verify that your account is active and able to receive direct deposits from US banks. You can also reach out to us after trying all the above at firstname.lastname@example.org subject heading “BANKING ERROR”
How are final job earnings calculated?
When you complete a job, your app displays the total you will receive.
The amount paid to you for a job is typically calculated as follows: Base Rate (total daily/hourly rate calculated from hours worked) – Crew Compass Fee. This amount may be different than the captain’s payment amount, which also includes the Crew Compass fee.
The Crew Compass Fee is charged to every job booking as a percentage of the base rate (5%). The transaction fee covers costs such as technology, development of new features within the app, marketing, and payment processing.
Use your app to review earnings anytime in the HISTORY section of the main menu.
How do I check how much I’ve earned?
Total earnings to date are displayed at the top of the HISTORY tab in the app. You can also see specific job earnings by tapping on the job and scrolling to down to the bottom of the job summary. You can also see the earnings breakdown in the receipt sent to your email address.
The daywork rate and the payout don’t match
Please note that your payment for any job will be less than the daywork rate charged to the captain. This is because Crew Compass charges Dayworkers a service fee (5% of the base rate) for each trip. The transaction fee covers costs such as technology, development of new features within the app, marketing, and payment processing.
If you believe you were paid incorrectly, please email email@example.com with subject heading “PAID INCORRECTLY” and include the Job ID number as well as what specifically was incorrect.
Promotions & Referrals
Occasionally, Crew Compass will run promotions in the form of limited issue promo codes. Promo codes will appear in the PROMOTIONS tab in the app, sent by email, or posted in social media, and subject to terms and conditions. Workers are only able to enter in the promo code (case sensitive) within the job request pop-up. Unfortunately, there is no opportunity to add the promo code after accepting a job.
You can earn Crew Compass account credit, gift cards, or other rewards by inviting your friends to signup and get hired using your personal invite code. You can find your invite code in the Crew Compass app by tapping EARN MORE in the main menu.
Remember, personal invite codes should only be used for personal and non-commercial purposes. This means that you can share your invite link with your personal connections via social media where you are the primary content owner. Public distribution on sites where you are a contributor but not the primary content owner (e.g., Wikipedia, coupon websites) is not allowed. Promoting your referral code via Search Engine Marketing (e.g., AdWords/Yahoo/Bing) is also not allowed.
Referral promotion codes are applicable to an invited user’s first daywork job — they are not intended for existing users. Existing users attempting to take advantage of the referral program may have their referral promotions disabled.
Crew Compass reserves the right to suspend your account and revoke any referral credits if they were earned against our terms.